About Me

My photo
Hi everyone! My name is Jackolyn Farmer, but everyone who knows me calls me Jackie, and thats fine by me. I am a senior at USM this year and I am in the dual enrollment elementary education/special education program. I enjoy it very much so far. My hometown is a little place about 2 hours northwest of here called Crystal Springs. Before I moved to Hattiesburg, my family and I lived there for 16 years. We moved here from Jacksonville, Fl. I like Mississippi, but I want to move close to the beach so I will probably move back to Florida sometime after graduation.

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Chapter 4 Reflection

Discuss the Research related to the effective use of digital portfolios in learning.

A portfolio is a culmination of one’s work over a period of time. A portfolio usually consists of artifacts. Artifacts are pieces of information that conveys what the user has learned. For instance, our portfolios will contain all of the work that the students have completed throughout the semester.
According to my textbook, portfolios are an instrumental way for one to keep track of what they have learned. Not only does it give the user the ability to visually see all that they have accomplished, but, through reflections they can gauge their own success. I feel like this is kind of a “self assessment.”
While the idea of a portfolio is a great way to handle authentic assessment, it is important to give students ample time to gather all of the material needed for the portfolio. It would be beneficial to the student for the teacher to provide a template for the students to use, when completing it online. An online portfolio is a novel idea as well. It gives students the opportunity to evaluate their peers work and to self gauge their own development. Most ePortfolios have a commenting section where peers can comment on their classmates’ work.

No comments:

Post a Comment