NETS Standard Four
4. Promote and Model Digital Citizenship and Responsibility
Teachers understand local and global societal issues and responsibilities in an evolving digital culture and exhibit legal and ethical behavior in their professional practices.
Artifact:
Turnitin
Performance Indicators:
Teachers should effectively discuss with students the consequences and downfalls of plagiarism and piracy.
Teachers should be able to pinpoint when a student is plagiarizing or pirating.
Be able to demonstrate to students proper citation techniques.
Reflection;
In an academic world where a lot of the information that students get comes from an online source, it is important to be able to distinguish one student’s original thoughts and understanding from that of another source. Plagiarism is a major problem in the academic world. When introducing students to technology, it must be explained to them the difference between borrowing information and downright stealing it. This is where the citation part becomes necessary. My motto for citation is “If you have to use someone else’s information, give credit where it’s due. Literally.” Not only are students using ideas that do not belong to them, but they are stealing another person’s hard work. Turnitin.com is a very useful tool in discerning original thought from plagiarized work. This website allows instructors to filter the information that a student has submitted within a project. All you have to do is upload the information to the website and you are able to see exactly where the student got their information from.
Future Goals:
As a future teacher, I feel like I should be an advocate for original work. I feel like a student has learned nothing if they plagiarize someone else’s work. It’s not fair to the original author and it is not fair to me. In the classroom, I will take plagiarism very seriously and it will not be tolerated. My classroom will be indicative of one that promotes creative thinking, not the stealing of someone else’s work
The purpose of this blog is to share my ideas and thoughts about readings and assignments that I have been required to complete at the University of Southern Mississippi.
About Me
- Jackie farmer
- Hi everyone! My name is Jackolyn Farmer, but everyone who knows me calls me Jackie, and thats fine by me. I am a senior at USM this year and I am in the dual enrollment elementary education/special education program. I enjoy it very much so far. My hometown is a little place about 2 hours northwest of here called Crystal Springs. Before I moved to Hattiesburg, my family and I lived there for 16 years. We moved here from Jacksonville, Fl. I like Mississippi, but I want to move close to the beach so I will probably move back to Florida sometime after graduation.
True, as teachers we should advocate the importance of original work to our students. Web etiquette is a very important aspect to instill in our students.
ReplyDelete