About Me

My photo
Hi everyone! My name is Jackolyn Farmer, but everyone who knows me calls me Jackie, and thats fine by me. I am a senior at USM this year and I am in the dual enrollment elementary education/special education program. I enjoy it very much so far. My hometown is a little place about 2 hours northwest of here called Crystal Springs. Before I moved to Hattiesburg, my family and I lived there for 16 years. We moved here from Jacksonville, Fl. I like Mississippi, but I want to move close to the beach so I will probably move back to Florida sometime after graduation.

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Blog #8

React to June Jordan's essay: what surprised you, compelled you, resonated with you? Can you relate to the issue of speaking a "nonstandard" dialect? Have you experienced a formal acknowledgment or celebration of your way of speaking/writing inside the university? What are ways you can enact resistance within the university?

I thought that June's essay was quite interesting. I thought that the run-down of the Black English terms was very interesting. This section of the article made a good point about standard English not really "getting to the point". From what I understand from passages within the essay, the apparent use of Black English is merely to be concise. Even though all people are taught standard English from the first day they enter a classroom, Black English can still be understood by most people. A way to show that you would like to resist the traditional writing frame that the university requires us to write in by taking your stance in your writing. If you are in a class that requires you to write a paper, and you would like to do what June Jordan did, you can write your essay in Black English. You will probably get points counted off for grammar and usage, but if your content is on point, you should still get a good grade.

No comments:

Post a Comment