About Me

My photo
Hi everyone! My name is Jackolyn Farmer, but everyone who knows me calls me Jackie, and thats fine by me. I am a senior at USM this year and I am in the dual enrollment elementary education/special education program. I enjoy it very much so far. My hometown is a little place about 2 hours northwest of here called Crystal Springs. Before I moved to Hattiesburg, my family and I lived there for 16 years. We moved here from Jacksonville, Fl. I like Mississippi, but I want to move close to the beach so I will probably move back to Florida sometime after graduation.

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Blog # 7

Given Krishnamurti's argument in "The Function of Education," how were "fear" and "ambition" (as Krishnamurti defines them) affecting Rose's experiences and questionings in graduate school? Can you relate to these feelings in your own experiences?

I feel that the fear that Krishnamurti describes in his work affected Rose because he was unsure of his own intellectual needs as a person. Here is Rose, who is intelligent, but has had difficulty his own interests. While in graduate school, Rose decides that he wants to go on to this psychology tangent, in pursuit of something that he thinks is more interesting,only to find out that it is not. He thinks about taking a job as a professor at the community college level because he is fearful of not having the comfort of steady work pace, income whatever it may be. But he does have this fear.
I can relate to this as well. Not unlike many other college students, I have changed my major. I am a special education major who started out as a Biology major. I was a Biology major with a desire to attend medical school. I wanted to do this because all of my other friends were Biology majors that were going into the health field too. All of my life, I had thought of being a teacher, but the year before I started college, I wanted to be like my friends. I put my needs aside in order to gain acceptance from my peers. After my first year, I realized that I hated what I was doing and that there was no way I was going to make it through college as a Biology major. I switched my major to special education and I am now confident that I am in a field that I want to be in. I enjoy my classes and am excited to learn all that I can about my field.

No comments:

Post a Comment