This article highlights early childhood educator's inability to give students access and the confidence building skills needed to read expository texts. The grades that are mentioned throughout this article are one through four. While reading this article, I was taken back to my clinical experiences this past summer. For tutoring sessions, I was required to bring an expository text to accompany any other narrative text that I chose to use for my tutoring lessons. My student was nearing the entrance of first grade. She was a struggling reader. I found that using the expository texts as an introduction to my lessons allowed me to activate my student's prior knowledge about the subject that we were about to explore. Expository texts usually feature real-life photos, and my student seemed to take great interest in them. In my spring clinical experiences within a first grade classroom, I saw very little (if any) use of expository text within lessons. The use of expository texts to accompany narrative literature is a great way for teachers to use content area literacy instruction with early aged learners.
1. Should students somehow be exposed to use of email, text messaging or other non-traditional forms of text to help them become more familiar with it? Or should it be held off for older aged children?
2. Do teachers feel that using expository text would be more time consuming due to the aspect of having to go over new vocabulary and terminology prior to actually reading the material?
The purpose of this blog is to share my ideas and thoughts about readings and assignments that I have been required to complete at the University of Southern Mississippi.
About Me
- Jackie farmer
- Hi everyone! My name is Jackolyn Farmer, but everyone who knows me calls me Jackie, and thats fine by me. I am a senior at USM this year and I am in the dual enrollment elementary education/special education program. I enjoy it very much so far. My hometown is a little place about 2 hours northwest of here called Crystal Springs. Before I moved to Hattiesburg, my family and I lived there for 16 years. We moved here from Jacksonville, Fl. I like Mississippi, but I want to move close to the beach so I will probably move back to Florida sometime after graduation.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I love how you related this back to your own tutoring sessions. I also made very similar connections with this article. In regards to your questions, I personally feel that with limitations, the younger students could benefit from other formats of writing and reading such as text messages or emails. It allows for more opportunity to read and to write. Even though it may take more time to use and to find a good expository text, I believe it is more beneficial for students to makle those real life connections to their school work.
ReplyDelete