I have never really thought about the way that teachers ask questions. After reading this chapter, I realize that the way teachers ask questions can really give the teacher a good indication of what the students know and how they learn and retain information. Students who are presented with questions that require only one answer do not really help the teacher to understand what the student knows or how they are learning and discovering new facts. The class then relies on the teacher to facilitate discussions. This is a hindrance to student's acquisition of knowledge because they are not learning to formulate and come up with discussions on their own.
I feel like Bloom's taxonomy is a good way for teachers to decide what kinds of questions they are asking their students. If you are asking students level one questions, then they are only giving you answers that indicate their knowledge of facts and definitions. Higher level questions can help teachers see how students make judgments and defend their own opinions.
I really like the Questioning the Author strategy that teachers can use to facilitate thinking in students. Students use questions to interact with the text and delve deeper into information that the author has presented to the reader. This strategy also allows students to relate to other texts. QAR is another strategy that I really like. I was able to use it quite a bit while tutoring a student this summer. The questions that I was taught to use really seemed to help my student gain deeper comprehension of the text.
Quote: " The danger of overuse of IRE is that students become passive learners and then rely on teachers to facilitate discussions."
Question: Which of the strategies presented in this chapter would be best to facilitate comprehension in students that have learning disabilities related to reading?
The purpose of this blog is to share my ideas and thoughts about readings and assignments that I have been required to complete at the University of Southern Mississippi.
About Me
- Jackie farmer
- Hi everyone! My name is Jackolyn Farmer, but everyone who knows me calls me Jackie, and thats fine by me. I am a senior at USM this year and I am in the dual enrollment elementary education/special education program. I enjoy it very much so far. My hometown is a little place about 2 hours northwest of here called Crystal Springs. Before I moved to Hattiesburg, my family and I lived there for 16 years. We moved here from Jacksonville, Fl. I like Mississippi, but I want to move close to the beach so I will probably move back to Florida sometime after graduation.
No comments:
Post a Comment