About Me

My photo
Hi everyone! My name is Jackolyn Farmer, but everyone who knows me calls me Jackie, and thats fine by me. I am a senior at USM this year and I am in the dual enrollment elementary education/special education program. I enjoy it very much so far. My hometown is a little place about 2 hours northwest of here called Crystal Springs. Before I moved to Hattiesburg, my family and I lived there for 16 years. We moved here from Jacksonville, Fl. I like Mississippi, but I want to move close to the beach so I will probably move back to Florida sometime after graduation.

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Blog # 3

We've talked, so far, about the discursive construction of consent and the normalization of privilege (via a vocabulary that masks privilege); how does Lakoff's explanation of framing relate to those concepts? (Remember to refer to specific quotes or passages in constructing your response.) How can rhetorical analysis help us understand the discursive construction of consent, the normalization of privilege, and framing? Also: what did you find surprising, offensive, or affirming about Lakoff's article?


"We all conceptualize well-being as wealth>" I don't think that I have ever seen a quote that I have disagreed with more ever. I feel like well-being is one's own healthiness, happiness and level of contentment. Some of those aspects of a person's life are affected by their level of wealth, but not all of them. One can be content with their family, their love or their job. Even if the job does not pay a lot. I can relate to this being an education major. I know that I will not make a lot of money, but I will be satisfied knowing that I am making a difference in the world. I do not conceptualize well being as wealth. Maybe I am misunderstanding the quote. I am not sure.
I did like Lakoff's rundown of qualities that we define as "well being" attributes.


healthy rather than sick,
rich rather than poor,
strong rather than weak,
free rather than imprisoned,
cared for rather than uncared for,
happy rather than sad, disgusted or in pain,
whole rather than lacking,
clean rather than filthy,
beautiful rather than ugly

I felt like this is something that I have not paid very much attention to in our society, and it was refreshing to see someone point this out.

No comments:

Post a Comment