About Me

My photo
Hi everyone! My name is Jackolyn Farmer, but everyone who knows me calls me Jackie, and thats fine by me. I am a senior at USM this year and I am in the dual enrollment elementary education/special education program. I enjoy it very much so far. My hometown is a little place about 2 hours northwest of here called Crystal Springs. Before I moved to Hattiesburg, my family and I lived there for 16 years. We moved here from Jacksonville, Fl. I like Mississippi, but I want to move close to the beach so I will probably move back to Florida sometime after graduation.

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Blog # 1

Respond to the reading using direct quotations and examples from the chapter. What did you find surprising, offensive, affirming, helpful, etc.? What kinds of cultural capital do you bring to writing and to your educational experiences

I felt that the writer of this book has a strong knowledge of how our society works. It is obvious from the vernacular used in this work that the writer is British. The writer uses odd terminology such as the word "hegemony." I am glad that we discussed this word in class because I was unclear on its meaning within the text. I found the fact that this writer is so aware of the class systems within our society to be surprising. Even though the writer is British, the writer manages to draw many parallels between British society and American society, as exhibited on the chart on page 32. Personally, I do not pay that much attention to the class system within our society, probably just because I am not as aware of others around me. However, this article and our class discussion following it has me becoming more aware of the actions of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment