About Me

My photo
Hi everyone! My name is Jackolyn Farmer, but everyone who knows me calls me Jackie, and thats fine by me. I am a senior at USM this year and I am in the dual enrollment elementary education/special education program. I enjoy it very much so far. My hometown is a little place about 2 hours northwest of here called Crystal Springs. Before I moved to Hattiesburg, my family and I lived there for 16 years. We moved here from Jacksonville, Fl. I like Mississippi, but I want to move close to the beach so I will probably move back to Florida sometime after graduation.

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Chapter One Reflection- Preparing to Use Technology

Chapter one gives the reader a synapsis of the origins of technology use in the classroom. From chalkboards and slates, to television and then computers, the use of technology has always been prevalent and instrumental in the classroom. The chapter uses testing scores of young children to demonstrate the benefits of technology use in the classroom. The book explained to us that children’s test scores increase when they are exposed to mathmatical principles using the computer. I agree with this idea and these results very much. I had a great deal of difficulty with math as a young child and using the programs that my teachers introduced to me in school helped me a great deal.
This chapter also gives a description of the National Education Technology Standards. This set of standards is designed to help teachers prepare programs and design fundamental concepts using technology in the classroom. I am relieved to know that there is a set of standards in which teachers can go by when it comes to technology. I am not as technologically literate as I would like to be and this set of standards will let me know everything I need to know to be prepared in the classroom. I would also like to reflect on the characteristics of special learners. Special learners will need to use adaptive technology in the classroom at some point. Adaptive technology for special learners can be as menial as a magnifier on a computer screen or as complex as a computer that narrates everything you do on it. All instructors will meet special needs students at some point in their career and it is important that the educators know what to do when the time comes for them to adapt to their needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment